GYBN Delegation at WGRI-5 – Montreal, Canada – June 16th to 20th 2014
The Fifth meeting of the Ad-Hoc Open-ended Working Group on Review of Implementation of the Convention (WGRI-5) took place in Montreal, Canada from June 16th to 20th 2014. Thanks to support from the Japan Biodiversity Fund, GYBN was able to send a small delegation to the negotiations that also participated in the subsequent SBSTTA-18 meeting.
JOINT GYBN-CBD ALLIANCE SIDE EVENT ON STAKEHOLDER PARTICIPATION
Jointly organized by the Global Youth Biodiversity Network and the CBD Alliance, the side event focussed on how engagement by youth, civil society organizations as well as indigenous peoples and local communities adds value to the CBD-process. It looked at ways and platforms for stakeholders to contribute to the process and present ideas on how stakeholder engagement could be further improved. It also provided insights about obstacles and problems that are limiting stakeholder participation in the CBD.
Presentations were given on the following subjects:
- Introductory Presentation about GYBN and our experiences with Youth Participation, lessons learned, obstacles experienced and the way ahead – by Melina Sakiyama and Christian Schwarzer (GYBN Focal Points)
- Introduction of the CBD Alliance and their activities to coordinate NGOs in the CBD-process – by Nele Marien (Coordinator of the CBD Alliance
- Presentation about the work of Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities in the CBD-Process – by Yoalanda Terrán
- Presentation about the work of the Women’s Caucus – by Simone Lovera (Global Forest Coalition)
- Case-Study Presentation about Youth Engagement on Biodiversity in India – Swetha Stotra Bhashyam (Zoo Outreach Organization)
- Case-Study Presentation about Youth Engagement on Biodiversity in Ghana – by David Oppong Meyde (Abibimman Foundation)
- Presentation about the role of the Science Community – by Ricarda Steinbrecher (EcoNexus)
- 20 years of Stakeholder Participation in the CBD – General Overview and Closing Remarks – by Christine von Weiszäcker (ECOROPA)
MEETING WITH THE CBD EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
On Thursday, June 19th 2014, the GYBN Delegation met with Braulio Dias, the Executive Secretary of the CBD. The youth delegates described GYBN’s activities over the past two years since COP11 in Hyderabad and asked for input on future ideas for the network. These ideas included our role in the negotiations and how GYBN can act as a capacity-building tool at both the negotiations and at the local level.
1) Mainstreaming Biodiversity in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) delivered on Tuesday, June 17th 2014 by Melina and Swetha
2) Cooperation with other Conventions delivered on Wednesday, June 18th 2014 by Dayna and Christian
3) Stakeholder Engagement delivered on Wednesday June 18th 2014 by Dayna and Christian, video:
4) GYBN Statement in the WGRI Closing Plenary delivered on Friday, June 20th 2014 by Melina and Swetha